2020 by the numbers

#Label

About Susie’s Place

Susie’s Place utilizes a multidisciplinary approach to investigate reported crimes against children.
Founded in 2009, Susie’s Place has served over 11,300 children in 11 years.
Over 75% of cases brought to Susie’s Place are reported sexual abuse, with the remaining 25% of cases being reported physical abuse, neglect, witness to violent crime, and drug related crime.
Susie’s Place is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. The cost of a single forensic interview is approximately $450! However, there is no cost to families thanks to support from the community.
Susie’s Place has provided Child Safety Matters Prevention Programming to over 75,000 K-12 students since 2017. An estimated 39,918 students will participate in the 2020-2021 school year.
Susie’s Place partners to provide trauma-sensitive medical and mental health resources.
195 acute cases were conducted in 2020. These are cases where child safety is of utmost concern and come in anytime of day or night.

Child Forensic Interviewing • Child & Family Advocacy • Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy • Therapy Dogs • Pediatric Sexual Assault Examinations • Multidisciplinary Team Training • Stewards Of Children Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Training

Find training, meet our staff, donate, and see how you can protect kids.
Email info@susiesplace.org or call 317-272-5696 with questions.

What is a …

…Child Advocacy Center?

CACs are facility based community partnerships dedicated to pursuing the truth in cases involving reported crimes against children.

CACs ensure children are not further victimized by the interventions intended to protect them.

Child Forensic Interview?

A child forensic interview at a CAC is an age and developmentally appropriate, information-gathering interview of an reported child victim of a crime or a child witness to a violent crime.

Forensic interviews follow a semi-structured forensic interview protocol designed to be non-leading and non-suggestive and always prioritizing the needs and safety of the child.

…Multidisciplinary Team?

CACs utilize a multidisciplinary team approach to investigate and intervene in cases involving reported crimes against children to ensure a child-focused approach. An MDT consists of the following professionals:

• Law Enforcement • Child Protective Services • Prosecution • Victim Advocacy • Medical Personnel • Mental Health Personnel • Child Advocacy Centers

In the 2020-2021 school year, a minimum of 88 schools will host the Susie’s Place Child and Teen Safety Matters prevention class, with over 39,918 students participating.

87 schools, 41,999 students

2019-2020

71 schools, 30,000 students

2018-2019

14 schools, 4,000 students

2017-2018

The Susie’s Place prevention team has adapted both the Child and Teen Safety Matters and the Darkness to Light Stewards of Children training to virtual options so that body safety and abuse prevention trainings could continue to be taught through the pandemic.

The COVID-19 pandemic has led to significant school, business and even statewide closures. With some children isolated in dangerous situations away from safe adults,
the number of abuse reports to the Department of Child Services decreased substantially. The reduced number of cases for 2020 reflects that downturn in reporting.

2020 Cases by Center

365

Terre Haute

417

Avon

488

Bloominton

Comments are closed.
Susie's Place - Avon, Bloomington, Terre Haute

Susie's Place – Avon, Bloomington, Terre Haute